Presently, we all live in a fast and dynamic world, which is all about interactive websites and social media. Since there is an infinite pool of things on the web, your kids can get exposed to inappropriate content quite easily. As a parent, it is your duty to look after their internet security and create a positive online space for them. To do this, you can take the assistance of parental control and web filtering tools. In this extensive post, we will introduce some of these best internet guards and parental control apps of 2019.
What is a Web Filter?
Before we make you familiar with parental control apps, it is important to know what a web filter is. Consider it as a content blocker tool or program that restricts the access to certain websites and data on the internet. Mostly, a website blocker acts as a firewall for a device or system. When a user would access the internet, it will restrict all the incoming and outgoing data. In this way, it would filter any indecent or inappropriate content for the user to access.
- A URL filtering tool can automatically control and restrict certain website access on a computer or smartphone.
- It can help parents restrict indecent, pornographic, violent, or any other inappropriate content for their kids.
- Users can also manually enter the websites they wish to block.
- Not just websites, a kid control or internet guard app will also enable safe searches and restrict images as well.
- It will also filter phishing websites or web malwares to keep the device safe from any virus attack.
As you can see, a content blocker tool can have so many uses. Following are some of the major applications of parental control and web filtering tools:
Web Filters, Time Limits, and Apps
With a parental filter, you can set time restrictions on the device usage or even block any app remotely. There are also inbuilt content blockers that can help you filter websites or domains as per your choice.
Messaging and Social Media
A premium content blocker app will also let you restrict the social media usage. You can keep an eye on your kid’s social media activity and even restrict its use. Also, you can set keywords for messages and be notified whenever a certain keyword is used in the texts.
Monitor Your Child’s Devices
There are certain advanced kids monitor app and tools that will let you keep a remote eye on the device usage. From the stored data to their browsing history, you can monitor it all whenever you want.
Remote Notification and Management
The best thing about these parental control apps is that we get real-time notifications on our smartphones. Also, it allows us to manage multiple accounts and monitor them on the go.
There are numerous other features that the parental control tools offer. For instance, you can know what your kids search for on the web or read their messages. This will help you know their present state of mind, if they are getting bullied at school, suffering from depression, and so on.
|Features||Content Blocker Level||Browsing History||Real-time alerts||Price||Rating|
|Web Filter||Chrome extension to filter websites||Medium||No||No||Free||8|
|OpenDNS Family Shield||Free OpenDNS family control tool||High||Yes||Yes||Free||9|
|Kiddle||Kid-friendly search engine||Low||No||No||Free||6|
|Web Nanny||Google Chrome web filter extension||Medium||No||No||Free||8|
|Spyzie||Device tracking and monitoring app||Medium||Yes||Yes||$29.99/month||9|
|Famisafe||Parental control and monitoring tool||Extremely high||Yes||Yes||$4.99/month||9.5|
|Kidlogger||Keylogger and restriction app||Medium||Yes||Yes||$9/month||7|
|ESET Parental Control||Dedicated parental control solution||High||No||Yes||$49.95/year||8|
|Qustodio||Device tracking and controlling app||Extremely high||Yes||Yes||$49.95/year||8.5|
|Kaspersky Safe Kids||Parental monitoring app||Extremely high||Yes||Yes||$14.99||8.5|
|Net Nanny||Device tracking and restriction app||Extremely high||Yes||Yes||$59.99/year||8|
Best Parental Control Tools for PC and Phones
As you know, there could be different kinds of tools for computers and smartphones that can meet the above-stated requirements. Let’s get to know about these parental settings and tools in detail.
Web Filtering Options for PC
If you want to use kid control or website blocker tool for a computer, then you can consider these options.
1.WebFilter FREE: Parental Control & Anti-Porn
This is a freely available Google Chrome extension that can help you restrict the way your kids use a web browser. Parents can set up internal access control on the device to avoid any violent of pornographic content.
- Free Google Chrome extension that comes with numerous web filtering options.
- It has an inbuilt smart profanity and content filter to block any inappropriate content automatically.
- Parents can also enter specific websites they wish to block on the list.
- All the restricted content would be password protected so that kids can’t overwrite the restriction.
- The extension can’t be removed without password as well.
2.OpenDNS Family Shield
OpenDNS is a freely available service that can help you configure your network and security settings. With the help of its dedicated service, Family Shield, you can set up reliable internet security control for your home network.
- It gives a dedicated access to parents, letting them control the child monitor tool and filters remotely on their dashboard.
- It has pre-configured sets that would automatically restrict content according to your child’s age.
- Parents will get real-time email alerts whenever a certain kind of keyword is used or a restricted content is accessed.
- You can set multiple account settings on various computers for different users.
3.Kiddle: Kid Search Engine
If you are just introducing the magical world of the internet to your little one, then start by Kiddle. It is a kid-friendly search engine, which is powered by Google. The search engine has an intuitive content blocker that will restrict all the inappropriate content for your kids.
- The freely available internet guard is powered by Google and provides a safe search for your kids.
- It will restrict all the searched results, websites, images, videos, news, and more.
- If any bad word is entered, Kiddle won’t even process the searched request.
- Recommended only for kids, as it can easily be bypassed.
More info: https://www.kiddle.co/
Web Nanny is one of the most popular Google Chrome extensions that you can try as a parental filter tool. Ideally, it works as a profanity content blocker that would make sure that your kid won’t be exposed to any indecent content at an early age.
- Parents can set internet security restrictions according to the age of their kids.
- You can also set profanity filters and masks for specific keywords on social media platforms as well.
- If you want, you can even replace any indecent word with something else as well.
- Add any word to the extensive profanity dictionary to further customize its functioning.
Parental Control Apps and Tools for Smartphones
As you know, most of the kids these days use their smartphones to access the web and all kinds of apps. Therefore, you can consider using these parental control apps to keep an eye on their smartphone activities.
Spyzie is a complete device tracker that works with every major iOS and Android phone. One of the best things about Spyzie is that it supports a stealth mode. Therefore, you can easily apply parental settings and keep an eye on your kids without getting noticed. It comes with tons of advanced features that every parent would love to use.
- Spyzie will let you monitor all kinds of internet activity, browsing history, and related content remotely.
- You can spy on every major social media or IM platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, WhatsApp, Line, Viber, and what not.
- It has an inbuilt keylogger that would maintain an extensive record of every keystroke made. This will let you monitor what they have searched for on the net or how they chat with their friends.
- You can even take a screenshot of the device remotely whenever you want, without getting detected.
- It supports an excellent invisible mode and provides a user-friendly dashboard for parents.
- The tool comes with tons of other features like live location tracking, geofencing, access to media files, contacts, call logs, and more.
- There is no need to root or jailbreak the target iOS/Android device to use Spyzie.
Check this Full Spyzie Review
If you are looking for a more social and controlled web filtering tool, then Famisafe would be a perfect solution for you. Parents can use this smart content blocker app as per their convenience to manage multiple smartphones. You can also set schedules and advanced restrictions to ensure that your kid won’t get addicted to smartphones.
- Parents would get real-time alerts for any suspicious activity like cyber-bullying
- It has a smart content blocker that would filter all the inappropriate content automatically.
- You can block any app or website whenever you want remotely from your phone.
- With just one tap, the entire phone access can also be blocked
- The parental control app can set strict time-based restrictions and schedules for the device use.
- There is also a provision to track the location of the device or block its use for restricted areas.
More info: https://famisafe.wondershare.com/
Price: $4.99/month onwards
Another smart parental control app that you can try is Kidlogger. Not just to monitor Android and iOS devices, the premium version can help you keep an eye on Windows and Mac systems as well.
- It has an advanced keylogger that would record all the keystrokes made in the last 7 days.
- You can track how much time your kids have spent on their smartphones.
- It will also help you track the web history of the device, corresponding to various browsers.
- You can also track their messages, stored media files, call logs, and even take screenshots remotely.
- It is ideally a monitoring tool and won’t help you filter a lot of content automatically on the device.
More info: www.kidlogger.net
Price: $3/month onwards
4.ESET Parental Control
ESET Parental Control is a lightweight and user-friendly application that will help you control the way your kids use their Android devices. Apart from keeping an eye on their device usage, you can also restrict it as per your convenience.
- The parental control app can set automatic filters, according to the age of your little one.
- You can remotely check how your children are using their smartphones.
- Apart from URL filtering, it can also control apps, games, social media, etc.
- Choose the apps that are safe or unsafe for your children beforehand.
More info: https://parentalcontrol.eset.com
Price: $49.95 a year per device
Qustodio is an advanced kids monitoring tool that will help you create a holistic positive environment for your child. Not only their iOS or Android devices, you can also monitor their Windows or Mac system and Kindle devices as well. Though, it won’t run in a stealth mode and will let your children see that they are being monitored.
- It gives a remote access to monitor every major smartphone activity of your kids.
- You can also track the social media activity of your kids remotely whenever you want.
- The tool will give you access to their contacts, call logs, messages, and so much more.
- It can be used to set time-limits, schedules, and other restrictions on apps or entire device usage.
- You can monitor how much time your kids have spent on their smartphone or certain apps.
More info: https://www.qustodio.com/en/
Price: $49.95/year onwards
6.Kaspersky Safe Kids
Kaspersky is a reputed name in online security and its parental control tool – Sake Kids will certainly help you on numerous occasions. You can remotely manage how your kids use their smartphones and access their social media activity as well.
- Parents can manage the time their kids spend on their smartphones.
- It will automatically filter the content a user can access on their phones.
- You can also control the app or device usage for your kids remotely from its dashboard.
- Get real-time alerts whenever a certain restriction is broken
- You can also locate the battery consumption and the live location of the device.
More info: https://www.kaspersky.co.in/safe-kids
Price: $14.99 per device
Net Nanny is one of the oldest parental control apps that have been active since 1996. The internet guard can be used on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android, and Kindle Fire devices. It will let you manage parental settings on multiple devices from one place.
- It has an inbuilt internet filter that will let you restrict any kind of unwanted data on your kid’s phone.
- You can remotely control the device or app access from its dashboard.
- It can also help you set time-based restrictions on the smartphone as per your convenience
- Get weekly reports for the device usage and real-time alerts as well
- Multiple apps for iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac
More info: https://www.netnanny.com/
Price: $59.99 annually per device
Now when you know about some of the best Android and iPhone parental monitoring apps, you can easily keep an eye on your little one. Apart from setting device restrictions and internet filter, you can also use these apps to track their location or access tons of other details. You can carefully look for their features and pick an ideal tool like Spyzie or Famisafe to protect your kids from any inappropriate content on the web.